Phoenix International School has high expectations of behaviour and learning from all students. The school recognises the need for reward to reinforce positive learning and behaviour.
In a positive learning environment, students feel they are genuinely praised and rewarded for their efforts and achievements, be they academic, sporting, social or otherwise.
Equally in a positive learning environment, students are not afraid to show off their talents, risk getting things wrong or try new concepts and ideas.
Students are also encouraged to give thanks and praise to each other.
All individual attainments are to be recorded on a student´s file.
REWARDS USED AT PHOENIX INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
This is always effective, more so when it is genuine praise. Staff will know by experience how public praise should be for each pupil.
- Spoken praise
- Written praise
- Stickers and / or certificates particularly in Primary
These must be consistently awarded by staff for:
- Exceptional work / homework
- Increased / sustained effort in work / homework
- Random acts of kindness
- Representing the school in their own time
House points will be returned to the House Co-ordinator on a half term basis and will contribute to the overall house point total. A special assembly will be held each half term when certificates will be awarded for the most housepoints thus contributing to the end of term prize and ultimately to the academic year reward.
In addition there will be rewards at the end of each academic year for a student from Primary and Secondary who will be chosen by their peers.
POSITIVE PHONE CALLS / LETTERS HOME
These are an extremely effective form of reward and much valued by students. These letters can be sent for a number of reasons;
- Improved effort
- Progress in a particular subject or subjects
- Attitude in class or helpfulness
- Improved attendance or punctuality
PRIZE GIVING CEREMONIES
- Most house points per academic year – 1 student per year group
- Achievement in sport – 4 students to be chosen by their peers
- Student of the year – one primary/ one secondary, to be chosen by peers
Half termly / termly
- House points
- Attendance certificates for 100% attendance throughout the term
- Sports day certificates and trophies
- Performance certificates